There is always a controversy on which oven is best and which oven cooks faster among a toaster oven and a conventional oven.
A Conventional oven is the oldest oven in practice which is also larger, whereas a toaster oven is a smaller version of a conventional oven with some additional features.
This article is about “Does a toaster oven cook faster than a conventional oven” read further to know more about this topic in detail.
Table of Contents
A Conventional oven operates with heat transfer from both bottom and up, a fixed source consists of two heating elements that heat the air inside the oven which in turn cooks the food.
Since this type of oven does not have a convection fan to rotate hot air around the food, cooking time depends on how the food is placed inside the oven.
A toaster oven is nothing but a small size conventional oven, since it is small it consumes less energy and also cooks the food faster. A toaster oven is something that can be used for much other baking and cooking other than just toasting.
This oven can also be used to bake bread, cakes, muffins, pie, bake potatoes, cook fresh foods, frozen foods, roasting, reheating, etc.,
Difference Between The Conventional Oven And A Toaster Oven:
- Larger in size
- Takes time to heat
- Cooks a bit slowly
- Use more electricity
- It can be electric or gas
- Installation necessary
- Smaller in size
- Heats up quickly
- Cooks faster than a conventional oven
- Use less electricity
- Only electric
- No installation needed
How Baking In Toaster Oven Is Faster From Conventional Oven:
A toaster oven is not only used for toasting but also for many other purposes. A toaster oven can be used to bake less quantity of cookies quickly. Since toaster ovens are smaller than Conventional ovens they heat up much faster.
Within the time of a Conventional oven getting preheated, half a dozen of cookies would be baked in a toaster oven.
A toaster oven’s preheating time is lesser and also the overall cooking time compared to a Conventional oven will generally be shorter than 2 to 4 mins. Toaster ovens are usually convection, (i.e) a convection fan is used to circulate hot air around the oven.
In Conventional ovens there will be two heating elements in the top and bottom, When a thermostat is set, the elements start to heat up to the temperature that is set.
As the elements heat up there will be a rise in heat from the bottom to the top there won’t be any air to circulate heat around the food to cook it evenly.
Thus in a Conventional oven, the food pan placed has to be rotated manually to get the food baked evenly.
Also, items placed for baking in the lower rack has to be carefully supervised to avoid burning since the heat rises from bottom to top.
On the other hand, a Toaster oven has no such problem of rotating as the fan distributes the hot air evenly.
Similar to Conventional oven a Toaster oven also has a variable temperature setting. Generally, the conventional oven’s temperature ranges from 200 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
A toaster oven with these settings will make baking easier, just fix the bake setting the oven will automatically set the relevant temperature to bake.
In this busy life owning a toaster oven reduces the preheating, the overall cooking time and makes baking easier.
- Occupies less space
- Zero installation cost
- Less energy consumed
- Cooler to use on summer
- Less cost
- Less rack flexibility
- Large quantity cannot be cooked
- Lesser fuel sources
- Large quantity can be cooked
- Flexibility in rack placement
- Has additional cooking options
- More fuel choices
- Less energy efficient
- Needs more space
- Purchase, installation, and operation costs are more
- Hot to use on summer
Best Toaster Oven And Reviews:
1. The best-bought oven of 2020 is “BrevilleBOV845BSS Smart Oven Pro” – Durable, easy to use and clean.
2. The best large Convection Toaster Oven is “BLACK + DECKER TO3250XSB Convection Toaster Oven” – Heats Quickly and simple to use.
3. Best rated by customers is “Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven” – Cooks quickly, Large capacity.
4. Best Air Fry Toaster Oven is “BrevilleBOV900BSS Convection and Air Fry Toaster Oven” – 13 cooking functions, LCD.
5. Best Toaster Oven for Baking is “Cuisinart Chefs Convection” – Good for broiling, multiple cooking functions.
6. Best Small Toaster Oven is “Panasonic FlashXpress”- Bright light and fast cooking.
7. Best Budget Toaster Oven is “Hamilton Beach Toaster Oven” – Compact and easy to use, safe open top.